Veteran Service Officer
Assists veterans with federal benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist veterans/dependents in applying for federal benefits from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO), by initiating or reopening claims.
• Assist veterans/dependents in appealing denied claims to the local VA Regional Office (VARO), the local Decision Review Officers, or the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington, D.C.
• Assist veterans in obtaining necessary inpatient and outpatient care from the VA medical Centers (VAMCs) and Community Based Outreach Clinics (CBOCS).
• Assists military retirees and their dependents or survivors in obtaining their benefits from the Department of Defense (DOD).
• Assist veterans in claims and proceedings involving the military services.
• Attend workshops, seminars, and conferences and confers with professionals in order to keep up to date on latest changes in Federal and State laws and regulations.
• Assist members and dependents of the National Guard and Reserve Components in obtaining appropriate benefits and assistance.
• Serves as the county’s liaison to the veteran’s service organizations in the county.
• Keeping office records, including file generation, privacy provisions and retention policy and standards.
• Maintain confidential records in accordance with all requirements of the data privacy laws and HIPAA.
• Problem Solving skills.
• Sitting with intermittent moving in an office environment, lifting of office supplies
• Manual dexterity to perform office functions (e.g., typing, filing, collating, operating office machines, 10-key, scanner etc.)
• Reaching, standing, and walking.
• Customer relation skills.
• Working computer knowledge.
• Basic understanding of word and excel.
• Ability to spell and proof read documentation.
• Must be able to perform essential duties with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently, accurately, and without causing a direct safety threat to the person or others.
• Stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling and lifting (20-30 pounds daily).
Machines Typically Operated
• General office equipment (Copier, fax, 10-key, computer, scanner, etc.)